As the winter season approaches, many people depend on light therapy (or phototherapy) as it is an effective and reliable treatment more particularly with users who have SAD or seasonal affective disorder. It has become a common and recurring problem for some people during the winter season. If you are still wondering does light therapy work, then read this informative article and buying guide.
What is light therapy and SAD?
SAD or seasonal affective disorder is a mood disorder wherein the person experiences depression most commonly during the winter season or sometimes, on a specific season or time of the year. According to some studies, this may happen due to insufficient exposure in light. As how it defines, this kind of disorder is also known as winter blues, winter depression or seasonal depression. So, to fight this off, patients undergo a light therapy treatment.
Light therapy, on the other hand, includes a light therapy lamp that gives off an artificial light that is as bright as the outdoor light. This kind of treatment normalizes the mood and provides relief not only for SAD patients but also for those who encounter different types of depression, sleep disorders and jet lag. This is often done at home and sometimes, in the office.
When a person is having a hard time to sleep or sleeping too much, light therapy would be a great help to overcome such disorders. Some users also prefer having this done in the office when they lack of energy. However, light therapy lamps and products can be bought over the counter but it is much better to consult your doctor if this will be part of your medication.
Buying Guide: How to Choose the Best Light Therapy Lamp
1. BRIGHTNESS – The usual illuminance of a light therapy lamp is 10,000 lux but it still varies according to the product you buy. So, if you have a preferred amount of illumination or light intensity, you have to check the details of the product before buying it. LED lights are often used with light therapy lamps.
2. FUNCTION – There are different types of light therapy lamps and each has its designated use. If you’re an SAD patient, you have to make sure if the product you’re buying is specified for this use. The intensity of light or UV light is different if it is for skin disorders. So, if you misuse the product, it may cause eye damage.
3. UV LIGHT – Light therapy lamps should not release too much UV light thus filter most or all the UV light. Too much exposure to UV light may not be very safe. It may cause skin or eye damage if misused. It is very important to know how much UV light your lamp releases.
4. STYLE – Light therapy products or lamps come in different sizes and shapes. Make sure that the product you’re buying is according to what you need.
5. PORTABILITY – Most users prefer compact and portable. A lamp with such features, however, is more convenient to use. Yet again, you have to know where you would place it and how you would use it – on a side table while you’re reading or maybe when you’re about to sleep or when waking up.
Top 10 Best Light Therapy Products
This wake-up light from Philips is one of the best-selling light therapy products. With its size and style, you can place it on the bedside. It can assure you a beautiful feeling as you wake up with the colored sunrise simulation. It also features calming wake-up sounds which you can choose among the five options. Both the light and sound can be adjusted. The light dims as it lulls you goodnight. The extra features are the FM radio and a tap-to-snooze alarm clock. Waking up and sleeping couldn’t have been any better with this light therapy lamp.
A light therapy lamp usually emits 10,000 lux for a reliable treatment and this one from NatureBright Sun Touch also does. It also features negative ion therapy. It is a perfect relief for those who encounter seasonal depression. It enhances the mood and boosts energy for a better performance. The SkyEffect technology also makes the product safe for the eyes while you’re having the treatment. It keeps you relaxed as you do your tasks and also regulates your sleeping patterns.
If you ever feel tired or uncomfortable when you wake up, it may affect your performance for the whole day. So, to keep you energized with all the tasks for the rest of the day, you need to have a comfortable and relaxing feeling when you wake up and this wake-up light from Philips will help you so. It has a natural light that gradually increases that will wake you gently. The light intensity can also be adjusted in 10 levels and is colored yellow that resembles the sunrise. It includes an FM radio and 2 wake-up sounds. An alarm is also included which is controlled with just a tap.
This energy light lamp from Lightporia is designed to last long even over many years. It uses 72-eye-optimized LED lights and this type of light makes it even more reliable. It emits 10,000 lux wide-spectrum light which provides bright and natural light yet resembles the sunlight. It is also programmed with different intensity levels that you can choose from according to the brightness you prefer. It is lightweight, compact and portable. Guaranteed to be very convenient to use!
Many users are very careful of choosing the right product as some could damage the eyes. Fret not with this energy lamp from Verilux. It is guaranteed safe and clinically tested. It emits 10,000 lux of light and its intensity can be adjusted from the brightest to the least. With its size, you can place it on the table while you’re reading or working.
When the winter season comes, need not to worry about the drastic change in mood. This light therapy lamp from Philips mimics the sunny blue sky which enhances your mood and gives off a relaxing atmosphere. The light emits 10,000 and guaranteed safe for the eyes as it is clinically tested. It revitalizes your energy for a much better performance on your task at work. Positive results are already visibly after 20-30 minutes of therapy.
When you need something to help you wake up gently and comfortably, this wake-up light from Nature Bright has a built-in alarm clock and wake-up light. It is equipped with LED diffusion lens which offer calm light that protects your eyes. The light emits 10,000 lux. With its size, it is very portable and travel-friendly.
One of the major features of a light therapy lamp is its capability of filtering UV light and the Carex Health Brands therapy light does it so. It blocks the UV light which keeps you protected from any skin or eye damage. It emits 10,000 lux of glare-free white light. It is also portable which you can bring anytime and anywhere you need to.
Another light therapy product from Carex Health features an innovative design which you can use when you’re reading, working and whenever you need it so or wherever you want to use it – at home or in the office. The light emits 10,000 lux of white light which is safe for the eyes. It filters the 99.3% of UV light which most experts and doctors recommend for a reliable light therapy lamp. It features two flicker-free settings for therapy or task lighting.
This Verilux light therapy product provides comfort for those who are experiencing mood disorders when the season changes or whenever you lack of energy while working. It boosts energy for a better performance at work or with any activities at home. It emits a moderate output of 5000 lux. Its compact size makes it portable for home or office use or wherever you need it. It has optic lenses that reduce glare and eye fatigue. The effectivity of the light therapy with this lamp is already visible after 30 to 60 minutes of therapy session.
Top 10 Amazon Best Sellers
Updated Daily, this is the list of the top 10 best sellers on Amazon. Here you will see what many other consumers consider to be the best, so you can find a good light for your needs.
[amazon bestseller=”light therapy lamps”]
Benefits of Light Therapy for SAD Treatment
By now, you hopefully now know a bit about How does light therapy work. Further, here are some of the major benefits of light therapy.
- Phototherapy boosts energy and improves performance while doing many tasks at home or at work.
- Phototherapy normalizes sleep patterns. It gives you a sound and enough sleep.
- Phototherapy provides great relief for SAD patients or any depression and mood disorders.
- Phototherapy helps the medicine to be more effective when the user is under medication.
- Phototherapy provides a relaxing feeling.