With the saying “video or it didn’t happen” rising in prevalence, action cameras are quickly becoming a must have – so here is a buying guide on how to choose the best action camera, from your trusty friends at AllBestTop10.com
Let’s face it, sometimes the most epic tricks or adventures are a total fluke. You take a wrong turn only to end up in the most spectacular locale you could possibly imagine – that you never would have found if you hadn’t taken that wrong turn. You’re just about to land a trick – or not land a trick – and suddenly a random gust of wind lands you somewhere you never imagined. Who is ever going to believe you if you don’t have video to back it up?
Small, portable action cams, capable of going wherever you go allow you to relive your most spectacular moments and epic adventures again and again and again – and provide all your buddies concrete proof that yes, that actually happened!
Top 10 Best Action Camera on Amazon
Further below we provide you a useful buying guide, but if you want to start shopping now here is the list of the best selling action cameras on Amazon as of TODAY. Yes, this list is updated DAILY based on actual Amazon sales data, which shows you what is the top camera based on many consumers who vote with their wallets.
[amazon bestseller=”best action cameras”]
What is an Action Camera?
The term “action cam” covers a lot of ground, but basically an action cam is any camera that is small and light enough to take with you anywhere you go; from rock climbing to mountain biking to skydiving, and durable enough to withstand adverse weather conditions, extreme hot and cold temperatures, shocks from falls or collisions and things like scrapes from tree branches.
Perhaps the most well-known brand of action cameras is GoPro, but other camera manufactures such as Sony and other major brands have made their versions, as well and plenty of no-name cheap brands as well.
Benefits of Using or Owning an Action Cam
Human beings are social animals. We love to share our experiences, because sharing them often enhances them. When we make new discoveries, the first thing we want to do is share them, and new experiences are no different. Climbing Mt. Everest is great, but having someone there to share the experience with is even better. Now, with today’s action cams, you can share your experiences with others even when they can’t be there to experience them with you.
Buying Guide on How to Choose the Best Action Camera
For someone who hikes, climbs or backpacks to remote outdoor locations, size and weight are going to be very important as is battery life. For someone who regularly drives to an area for a day of epic four-wheeling, size, weight, accessories and battery life may not be as important.
Some people just want something they can show their buddies and post on the internet, while others may want professional 4K UHD video to sell or use for promotional purposes. Some people are group adventurers, which means there is always someone around to take a picture of them, while others are solo explorers that need a camera that can take a shot without their assistance.
Here are a list of some of the key features of action cams to help you determine which one is right for you:
- Picture quality: More and more action cams are becoming capable of shooting 4K video, but how good it looks also depends on the lens and other features of the camera itself. You might get significantly better shots from a camera with better features that shoots 1080p rather than a low end camera that shoots 4K.
- Storage: Some cameras have built-in storage, others use memory cards. Memory cards can be pricey and easy to lose, but they give you an unlimited amount of storage without having to carry a computer and/ or hard drive around.
- Lenses: Lenses make a huge difference on the quality of video as well as how wide or narrow the shot is.
- Waterproof: Most action cams have some level of water resistance, but some are literally waterproof and can be directly used in the water, while others are merely water resistant. It’s a good thing to check before buying.
- GPS Enabled: Some cameras are GPS enabled, which means they can store information about exactly where the shot was taken.
- WiFi/ Bluetooth: WiFi enabled devices can allow you to upload footage to cloud storage via your cell phone, while bluetooth enabled devices allow you to connect with remotes and other external devices.
- Price: Action cams come in a wide range of prices depending on their features. In some cases, you may want more than one camera, in which case you may opt for a couple GoPros, as you can buy a few of them for about the same price as the brand new Hero 4.
Things to Avoid or Main Drawbacks about action cams
Make sure you buy an action cam made by a reputable company and check the warrantee. Action cams can be pricey and they are made to go on adventures, where all kinds of things can happen. Any time you are buying electronics from a new or unknown company, always go to Amazon and read customer reviews, particularly in regards to customer service and how easy or hard it is to get it exchanged or repaired if something goes wrong.
Now that you know the most important things to look for when buying an action cam, you can go to Amazon or any number of online retailers to find just the right camera for you.
For inspiration, check out this video of 16 must see videos shot on a GoPro!
This article was written exclusively by and for AllBestTop10.com