If you want to buy a child car seat but you don’t know where to start, this buying guide will help you choose whether a convertible car seat is the best choice for your child.
Well, we all know how confusing this task is especially if it is your first time. You want to buy an ideal product that will suit the needs of your child and yours too. So, taking the time to read this guide on how to choose the best baby car seat will help you to keep them safe when traveling. Continue reading below for useful buying guide tips.
- See Also: Best Baby Car Seats in 2016
Top 10 Best Sellers: Convertible Car Seats on Amazon
Before we go any further, here is the current top 10 list of best sellers on Amazon. This list is updated DAILY based on actual Amazon sales data. So you can see what other customers are buying, as they are voting with their wallets. Below is the top 10 list of convertible car seats.
- For rear-facing infants from 4-50 pounds and forward-facing toddlers from 22-65 pound
- 3-position extension panel adjusts to provide 5" additional leg room allowing your child to ride...
- Up to 50 pounds rear-facing allowing your child to ride safely rear-facing for longer
- The car seat built to GROW for extended use through 3 stages: Rear-facing 5-40 pounds,...
- Side Impact Protection
- Harness holders: with the harness held back, it's easy to get your child in and out of the seat
- Takes up less space in the back seat, for up to 7 inches of extra room in the front
- Quick Fit Harness for easy adjustment of both harness and headrest in one simple step
- Quickfit harness for easy adjustment of both harness and headrest in one simple step
- Side impact tested, Meets or exceeds all applicable federal safety standards and Evenflo's side...
- Designed and tested for structural integrity at energy levels approximately 2X the Federal crash...
- Multiple shoulder harness positions for better fit and longer use
- Upfront harness adjustment and buckle release allows easy and convenient adjusting
- Integrated body cushion gives added comfort to baby and an easily removable head pillow for older...
- 4-in-1 Convertible Car Seat gives you 10 years of use from four to 120 pounds
- Rear-facing baby car seat from 4 to 40 pounds
- Forward-facing toddler car seat from 20 to 65 pounds
- Booster seats in high back belt-positioning mode from 30 to 100 pounds and backless belt-positioning...
- InRight LATCH system for an easy, 1-second LATCH attachment
- This Graco convertible car seat is designed to help protect your rear-facing infant from 5 - 40...
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System is safe and simple with a one-hand, no re-thread harness that...
- Side-impact tested In addition to meeting or exceeding all applicable US safety standards, the...
- Engineered and crash tested to meet or exceed US standard FMVSS 213
- One-hand, 8-position adjustable headrest easily adapts to your growing toddler's needs, helping to...
- Graco My Ride 65 LX Convertible Car Seat, Stage 2 Car Seat, Coda
- My Ride 65 infant car seat measures 26 by 20.5 by 27 inches (H x W x D) and weighs 15.7 pounds.
- EPS, energy absorbing foam for effective impact energy management.
- The LATCH-equipped seat with front-adjustable 5-point harness and easy-to-read level indicator makes...
- Machine-washable cover. Metal and plastic parts can be washed with mild soap and water, while the...
- Compact size for great vehicle fit
- Up-front harness adjustment for easy access
- 5-point harness system provides a secure fit
- Side impact tested, meets or exceeds all applicable federal safety standards and Evenflo's side...
- Designed and tested for structural integrity at energy levels approximately 2x the federal crash...
- 3-in-1 convertible car seat transforms from a rear-facing infant car seat from 5 - 40 pounds, to a...
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System adjusts the height of your harness and headrest, in one motion, to...
- 4-position recline helps keep your growing child comfy, in rear- and forward-facing modes
- Graco's exclusive InRight LATCH attachment provides an easy, one-second attachment with an audio...
- Height: head must be at least 1" below handle
- The guide 65 is a perfect fit for smaller cars and helps protect your child longer in both rear and...
- Rear-facing 5-40 pounds and 19"-40"
- Forward-facing 22-65 pounds and 34"-52"
- Compact design for small cars
- 5 harness heights and 3 buckle locations for proper fit
- 3-in-1 harness booster helps protect your child from toddler to youth
- Front facing car seat harness booster (22 - 65 lb.), high back booster (30 - 100 lb.), backless...
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System adjusts the height of your harness and headrest in one motion, to...
- 3-position recline helps keep your growing child comfy
- Side-impact tested for occupant retention with built-in 5-point harness system
What is a child car seat?
These are seats that are specifically designed to protect a child from getting injured or dying during a car collision. Baby car seats are required legally in most countries to transport kids who are aged 2 and below.
There are several different types of child car seats. Some are specifically designed for babies and are considered infant car seat, while others are designed for older kids called toddler car seat. For older kids there such things as “booster seats”. And finally, there’s the “convertible car seat” which are designed to convert as your child grows.
Benefits of Using or Owning a Child Car Seat
A baby car seat is important to any parent (especially those who own a car) because it will keep the child safe and protected. They are specifically designed to minimize the injury risk. You need to get the best seat for your child depending on their age and size. Using a wrong type of seat or installing it incorrectly will put your child at risk.
How to Pick the Best Child Car Seat
The car seat technology has improved tremendously in the previous years. This has made it tough for most parents to select a car seat for their children. However, there are essential things you need to consider as you choose the best child car seat such as:
Can you use it easily? Every parent asks this question when shopping for a car seat. Which is the safest seat? Even though all the seats sold on the market have to meet the standards, the key question is if the design makes the seat easy to use. As you shop, be sure to check different seats. Try buckling and unbuckling the harness- stiffen the harness and then loosen it. Consider adjusting the height of the harness. You may also release the car seat from its base and then return it back in. All these pointers will assist you to know how the seat works and also identify the one that offers smooth mechanics.
Can it fit in the car? Compatibility issues between cars and car seats are very common. Different seats have different dimensions. So, the best thing is to try fitting it into the car before buying it. Ensure that there’s sufficient space between the front seat of your car and the car seat.
Will the seat fit your child? This is the most difficult question because most parents tend to purchase the seat before the child is born. Some seats are suitable for babies weighing up to 22 pounds while others can handle up to 35 pounds. If you are expecting twins, consider seats with a lower weight. But, if big babies run in the family, pick a seat with extra room. Otherwise, you can wait until your child is born and then buy the seat.
Is it comfortable? The best seat should be comfortable for both you and your child. Try to avoid fabrics that are not breathable. Also, you will be schlepping the seat a lot. Note that some seats are heavier and some handles are comfortable than others. Hold the seat to know if it feels like a manageable load.
If you still require more information on choosing the best car seat or you need guidance on installation, watch this video.
Things to Avoid or Main Drawbacks About Child Car Seat
Since car seats come in different brands, you need to make sure that the straps of the seat can be adjusted easily as the child grows. You want to opt for straps that won’t need to be rethreaded. Most brands have adjustment handles behind the seat or pull cords between the child’s legs. This means you won’t have to rethread the straps.
With all this information, choosing a car seat for your child should be an easy task. Do not keep all this to yourself; you also want other parents who are struggling to get these tips too. You will find many brands in your local store or at Amazon. Ensure you go through the reviews of different seats so that you can choose the one that suits your needs.